So, one afternoon last week I get a call from one of my friends. She says that she has a friend that likes to read and pointed her to my website, where I have excerpts from much of my work. Now the friend wanted to ask me something. She hands the phone to the friend and the friend says:
“I NEED to read the rest of that book!”
Now, I’m still unpublished. In fact, she’s lucky that the one she was interested in is even finished; not all of them are! So I arranged to get her email and email it to her, because it isn’t currently under consideration by anyone.
So I have two thoughts on this situation, both of them very positive, and maybe they are just related.
1. How awesome a friend I have that apparently does regular word-of-mouth marketing for me? She claims it has nothing to do with being my friend, but hey, it feels pretty cool, either way.
2. What an amazing feeling to hear someone say “I NEED to read more!” I’ve had people read my stuff over the years, I’m not one that’s shy about that, but very rarely have I had someone, especially someone I have never met, be that excited about my work.
So, this post isn’t a deep insight into the mind of a writer, nor an exciting update as to what is happening with my work, but merely a very heartfelt thank you to my friend. Thank you, for bringing me that huge feel-good moment. Every fledgling writer could use more of those.
It’s that NanoTime again! Time for the next of Derek Daniels’s ongoing adventures as a Nanite Chaser. Stormy Weather is now available to read on the DavidJace website. If you haven’t read the previous adventures, they can be found on the main page of the site, under Short Stories, along with the current episode.
I particularly liked this episode for a couple of reasons. One, the girl he meets; I love the dancing in the rain image. Two, the little hints that are embedded in the story. I’m not saying any more about that, though.
At the bottom of the story, as usual, is a Comment link. Please let me know what you think of it. Especially if you catch an inconsistency with previous episodes, or if you think the voice is not staying true throughout. Or if, heaven help us, you just happen to like it!
Yes, I’m posting late today. It isn’t my fault! I did it! Someone must have snuck in and deleted it just to get me in trouble! (I must have been hanging out with my kids alot. They’re rubbing off on me.)
Ah, Life. If it weren’t for that silly millstone around our necks, we’d be able to get so much more done! I have been determined to get some writing down now that summer is here, and yet, *sigh* not a word. I feel like a horrible failure.
“The Microcosmic God” by Theodore Sturgeon is about a scientist that invents an entire race of little creatures to which he is, effectively, god. It’s a wonderful little story with a lot more to it than I have described here. Highly recommended. However, at one point, he invents a drug that completely removes the need for sleep, so that he can spend 24 hrs a day with his little creatures! It has come to that. I must either invent a sleep-removing drug or become undead if I want to get anything done. This ridiculous Life thing is just too in the way.
Drastic as this decision is, I have decided to put it off and try one more thing first. Hero Games is my current, stalled, project. Instead of trying to finish the planning on it, I’m going to jump into it, and start writing. I’ll use the plans I’ve developed so far, and see where the rest of it goes. When I’m done, I’ll tear back through it, change it all up, and write it again. Let’s see how this plan works for me. I’m aware that other authors do it like this all the time!! And if it doesn’t work out, I’ve always got that undead thing to try.
This week, I wanted to do something with a little less “deep thought.” OK, I admit it, I was having too much fun with kids, summer camps, swim lessons, and Elvenfire marathons to manage a proper list. My dad sent me this list of puns and quips and I decided to share a few smiles with my readers. I hope you enjoy them.
1. How Do You Catch a Unique Rabbit?
Unique up on It.
2. How Do You Catch a Tame Rabbit?
3. How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest?
They Take The Psychopath.
4. How Do You Get Holy Water?
You Boil The Hell Out of It.
5. What Do Fish Say When They Hit a Concrete Wall?
6. What Do Eskimos get from sitting on the Ice too long?
7. What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn’t Work?
8. What Do You Call Cheese That Isn’t Yours?
9. What Do You Call Santa’s Helpers?
10. What Do You Call Four Bullfighters In Quicksand?
11. What Do You Get From a Pampered Cow?
12. What Do You Get When You Cross a Snowman With a Vampire?
13. What Lies At The Bottom Of The Ocean And Twitches?
A Nervous Wreck.
14. What’s The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup?
Anyone Can Roast Beef.
15. Where Do You Find a Dog With No Legs?
Right Where You Left Him.
16. Why Do Gorillas Have Big Nostrils?
Because They Have Big Fingers.
17. Why Don’t Blind People Like To Sky Dive?
Because it scares the Dog.
18. What Kind of Coffee Was Served on The Titanic?
19. What is The Difference Between a Harley And a Hoover?
The Location of the Dirt Bag.
20. Why Did Pilgrims’ Pants Always Fall Down?
Because They Wore Their Belt Buckles on Their Hats.
21. What’s The Difference Between a Bad Golfer And a Bad Skydiver?
A Bad Golfer Goes, Whack, Dang!
A Bad Skydiver Goes Dang! Whack.
22. How Are a Texas Tornado And a Tennessee Divorce The Same?
Somebody’s Gonna Lose a Trailer.